As Chicagoland, and much of the world, approaches phase 4 of re-entry to society after months of Shelter In Place, many are wondering how to navigate through the uncertainty of what’s next with COVID-19. That which is certain is we all want to be happy, and we all desire the ability to work through an overwhelming life shift. The great news is – IT’S POSSIBLE!
Let us dive into seeking a solution by firstly considering one famous Greek philosopher; Heraclitus. His philosophy is a good starting point for anyone concerned with change in life.
Life is like a river. The peaks and troughs, pits and swirls, are all are part of the ride.Heraclitus
If you do as Heraclitus would – go with the flow. Enjoy the ride, as wild as it may be.
Secondly, flow with change by applying helpful principles. Interested? Read on about how two modern day Greeks researched 7 key principles to help us navigate change and be happy in the interim.
Dr. Elia Gouragouris and Konstantinos Apostolopoulos recently co-authored the book 7 Keys To Navigating A Crisis to offer proven steps a person can take to cope and maintain a positive mindset during a pandemic and other disasters. The timing is perfect for the release of this book, which is a quick and easy read.
Not only will individuals and families find the book helpful in a crisis, so will first responders, healthcare professionals, mental health counselors and wellness coaches. Each chapter has an end section including points to under, questions to consider, and action steps to take, so the reader can move beyond just surviving to thriving in a crisis situation.Dr. Gourgouris
Here are the 7 keys covered in the book:
- SELF CARE- the ability to become aware of our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs, in order to thrive during a crisis.
- PRACTICING AWARENESS, self reflection and listening to our intuition or inner wisdom gives us advance notice of what’s around the corner. Sometimes that information can be a matter of life or death.
- CHOOSING FLEXIBILITY allows us to adapt, pivot when needed, and avoid unnecessary pain.
- PREPARATION is our key to survival. The time to act is now, and preparation is no longer the exclusive domain for a fringe movement of doomsayers but a necessity for all of us.
- TAKE INITIATIVE by moving into action. Our response will be determined by the extent of the disaster. Let us not be victims, but instead navigate our own journey.
- POSITIVE ATTITUDE, filled with faith, and hope helps us overcome any situation and any obstacle we face. More importantly, it helps elevate those around us looking for leadership.
- OUR HUMANITY will be measured by the level and frequency of the kindness we show to others. One of the greatest blessings to come out of the pandemic has been the countless acts of sacrifice, service and love shown by thousands of ordinary folks doing extraordinary acts of kindness around the world.
Watch “Elia Gourgouris, PhD – The Happiness Doctor”
One thing is for sure, life is ever changing, and it is up to each of us to positively navigate through COVID-19 and future uncertainties. Help yourself by preparing to be ready for any change that will come your way!